This is my, "we have steak left over from last night's bbq and I don't feel like eating microwaved steak" dinner plan. It's pretty quick
F U N D A B B L E R F A C T
Corn tortillas have CALCIUM in it! It is a great way to eat bread low in calories!
Serves about 4-6 people (about 3 small corn tortillas each)
Takes about 1 hour to prepare and cook (if you don't have left over meat)
I N G R E D I E N T S
Thinly sliced meat - abut 1 pound
Onions - 3 medium
Garlic Cloves - 4 (or more)
Bell Peppers - 5
Corn- about 1 small can
Black Beans - 1 can drained and rinsed (OPTIONAL)
Cumin - 2 teaspoons
Cinnamon - 1/8 teaspoon
Salt and Pepper to taste
Tortillas (I prefer corn)
Cheese - minimum of 200 grams (your choice: monterey jack, cheddar, mixed…whatever you like)
Some oil for frying/sautéing
I N S T R U C T I O N S
After washing all your veggies of course:
Start slicing away (try to keep them the same size).
1. Slice your bell peppers
2. Slice your onions
3. Slice your meat (HINT: now you can buy pre sliced meat if you are pressed for time OR what I like to do when the thin sliced steaks are on sale, I buy a few we bbq them (actually my hubby does-YAY hubby!) and then the left overs I slice and throw in with the veggies to warm up and revive with spices. Saves all the meat cooking, cutting steps below).
4. Add in your oil, then your meat. Add in half of your cumin (so 1 teaspoon) your cinnamon, and some salt and pepper. Throw in a handful of the onions you chopped.
5. Dice some garlic, add it into your meat once the meat is almost finished cooking and has started browning.
6. Mix in your veggies. Do not over cook, just mix and warm so that the veggies start to sweat a bit. Now if you are not a fan of uncooked onions, be sure to add them BEFORE your corn and bell peppers. Cook them to just before the point you like them THEN add in your bell peppers. Ideally you will just warm up the bell peppers (to add texture and keep in the max of its nutrients. Bell peppers are best eaten raw).
7.Now you can either serve on rice (seen below) OR on tortillas.
9. For the tortillas, grill/broil/fry your tortillas a bit, then melt on your cheese.
10. Top it off with the mixture and your favourite salsa and VOILA! you've got yourself dinner!